Why do we need web standards?
As an example, you need to buy a light bulb. Imagine if every manufacturer in the world made their light bulbs to their own desired sizes and fittings. It would be a nightmere buying the right light bulb that fits your particular lamp socket.
Standards need to be adopted if the global Internet community is going to be able to view your website through different. Hence the W3C compliant standards were created to provide such internationally accepted standards to enabled web developers to create professional looking websites which maintained their integrity across the spectrum of browsers. The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) is an international organisation that develops the standards for web related products like browsers, websites etc.
The 2 key advantages of W3C compliant websites?
- Your web site is more compatible with many browsers
- When you see your site on your computer with your browser it looks OK to you, but if your visitor it just a different browser, it may display properly. When you follow W3C standards which are followed by most browsers, the old browsers can display your site.
- Search Engine Friendly
- A well structured webpage will make it easier for Search engine spiders to can easily understand your webpage and extract the information needs to understand what a page is about. Proper use of the heading tags can be used to break up your webpage info sections. This way it is easy to get indexed in search results without the need to pay for expensive search engine optimisations
- Not allof oyur visitors will be using the same browsers or device to view your website. There may be visitors using old versions of Internet Explorer, other may be using Firefox or Google Chrome. Then of course there are visitors using mobile pones and other handheld devices. By following web standards to ensure that your website is viewable by all of these.
- Over 2 million people in the UK have a visual impairment, a well structured website conforming to web standards should be accessible to visitors using screen readers. The 1995 Disability Discrimination Acts makes it unlawful to prvide a service that is not accessible to everyone, since 1999 organisations in the UK are legeally obliged to ensure your website is disabled-friendly.
- Future development - Maintenance
- Using web standards can reduce the time and cost of maintaining your website. By using CSS a small change such as a the colour of a particular font can be updated on oyur whole site by editing 1 line in the CSS stylesheet compared to manually editing every single page if your website does not use a CSS file.
- Using web standards will make it easier if someone else needs to edit the website in the future. By using standards another developer can easily understand the code and make quick changes without having to read through loads of code to try to understand what it all does first.
- Speed and Performance
- Using XHTML & CSS for your layout instead of a table based design will results in less code therefore smaller file sizes making your site load faster. You also get the added benefit of reduced bandwidth usage, sure a couple of kilobits may not seem much at first but if your site gets 1000′s of visitors then it will soon add up.
- Future proof
- By following web standards your site should be more compatible with future technologies and future browsers.
If your site doesn’t follow standards then you’re running the risk of loosing visitors. If you’re using non-standard code that only works in some browsers then you are potentially ignoring 100′s even 1000′s of visitors / customers.
Other website services:
We specialise in creating bespoke, visually stimulating website designs for the front-end that engage your customers and make your competitors jealous. Web2Works are a UK company based in Doncaster. We incorporate sound design principles that focus on ease of navigation, website usability guidelines, and smart, clean content layout.
Why do we need web standards? As an example, you need to buy a light bulb. Imagine if every manufacturer in the world made their light bulbs to their own desired sizes and fittings. It would be a nightmere buying the right light bulb that fits your particular lamp socket.
The search engines are constantly changing and this year is no different, Web2Works Website and Search Engine Optimisation company situated in Doncaster. Here are some useful tips for 2011 which you should explore and work on to stay ahead of the SEO game.
The statistics are staggering, one fifth of the world's population have access to a mobile device and the Internet. With that many potential users out there, an explosion of mobile applications is not only inevitable, but also necessary.
We offer fast reliable all round packages that includes everything you will need to host your website on the Internet. Website Hosting prices start from £120. 00 per year. *Choosing your domain name?* We can help you to choose a domain name that is perfect for you.
An important part of any website is to be able to capture email addresses for newsletters, articles and online marketing activities. Web2Works highly recommends List Mail Pro which enables you to manage and publish your newsletters directly from your server with no monthly fees.
*E-commerce Website Design Services* With *300 million* potential customers online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, the future of commerce is most certainly online. We focus our design around the ease of use. E-Commerce websites are completely secure and reliable shopping cart payment systems.
Content Management System (CMS) which is fully editable, allowing you full control over your website content without the need for technical programming knowledge or on-going maintenance costs. You can simply login via a secure admin area to update your website 365 days a year.